自考365-自考学历培训

笔记串讲

自考综合英语(二)下册详解第十六课上

2006-12-12 13:35    

自考整专业

  1. who have been married only a short time and whose careers are still in the promising stage. 俩人结婚不久,在事业上大有希望,但仍然处于发展阶段。

  be in the promising stage处于发展阶段,处于有前景的阶段 Socialism is still in the promising stage.社会主义仍然处于迅速发展的阶段。

  2. There is abundant luxury in the room but a minimum of taste. ——(The room is richly furnished but shows little taste.)

  房间布置相当豪华,但品味很不高雅。

  1)abundant luxury相当豪华,abundant丰富的,大量的

  2)but a minimum of taste但品味很不高雅,but表示转折,minimum of taste缺少品味

  3.He presses the buzzer on the house phone and speaks to the cook.他按了按家庭部电话的蜂音器对厨师说话。

  Presses, speaks to剧本中的台词是剧本的主体,剧情的发展、人物的展现、剧本的主题思想全通过台词体现是。舞台说明用现在时态(一般现在时和现在进行时)。

  4.I hardly slept a wink all night……——(I hardly had any sleep at all last night./I slept very little last night.)

  not sleep a wink or not get/have a wink of sleep; not to sleep at all

  Our next-door neighbours were so noisy last night that we didn't get a wink of sleep.

  昨天晚上我们隔壁的邻居特别吵闹使我们一夜没合眼。

  5. There is nothing to do but face the fact that we're not invited.——(The only thing we can do now is to accept the harsh reality-that we are not invited.)

  1)there is/was nothing to do but do sth., there is/was nothing for it but to do sth.:除了……没有别的办法

  Their car broke down in the wilderness. There was nothing to do but wait for help to arrive.

  他们的车在荒原抛锚,除了等救援没有别的办法。

  There is nothing to do but pay up immediately.

  除了立即还清欠款之外别无选择。

  2)face the fact that: to accept that a difficult situation exists, although it is unpleasant

  You must face the fact that you have to support yourself from now on.

  从现在开始你得养活自己,你要面对这个现实。我们毫无办法,只有面对没有邀请我们这个现实。

  6.Oh, there's got to be a way. There's got to be.

  there's got to be a way:We must find a way to explain our absence.

  has got to: has to

  7. ……there is on reason to feel slighted. We're both pretty new in pictures. It's not as though ) we were oldtimers who had worked with Scotty.——(……we don't have to feel upset that they ignore/snub us. After all, our Hollywood career is just beginning.) 我们不必感到不安,毕竟在电影界我们俩人都还是新手,对我们不可能像对和斯格蒂一起共过事的老手那样。(这里兰蒂?布鲁克斯劝妻子卡罗?梅森想开点,没有邀请他们也有一定的道理,不能指望人们对他们像对好莱坞资深演员那样。)

  1)slight: to treat rudely or without proper respect; to insult冷落

  She feels slighted because no one spoke to her at the party.

  参加聚会的人没有一个搭理她,她觉得受了冷落。

  2)it's (not) as though / if:情况就好像(或不可能像)……一样,又如:

  It's as if I were a guest while they hosts.

  事情弄得好像他们是主人我反而是客人似的。(我是主人,他们喧宾夺主。)

  The manager is very disappointed with their performance. It's not as if they were new hands.

  经理对他们的表现很不满意,他们又不是新手。(如是新手尚 可原谅。)

  8. We've been through all(链接) this before. 这些事我们已讨论过了!

  We have discussed/talked about all this before;

  We've tried to find out why some of our friends have been invited.

  9.And I may never have worked with Scotty, but I did meet him once, and he danced with me at a party.

  我确实从来没有和斯格蒂共过事,不过我和他有一面之交,在一次聚会上他还与我跳过舞。

  1)这里may用来表示承认某件事情是事实,接着but介绍与此相左的事实或论点,又如:

  He may be very tall, but not necessarily a good basketball player.他个子很高,但未必是一个好的篮球选手。

  He may be a good teacher, but not necessarily a good headmaster.他是一个好老师,但未必就是一个好校长。

  I may have never been without a job, but I do understand how laid-off workers feel.

  我确实是从来没有失过业,但是我能理解下岗工人们的心情。

  Cooking may be boring, but it can be a delightful thing to do at times.

  做饭是件乏味的事,不过有时候也可以成为一件愉快的事。

  Some students may think the training a waste of time, but later they'll find it very useful.

  有一些学生认为这种训练是浪费时间,不过以后他们会发现很有用。

  2)did表示强调

  10. He was very nice to me, too, and said some very complimentary things. 他对我很客气,还说了些赞扬我的话。

  1) be very nice to对……很客气

  2)complimentary things赞扬的话

  11. I met his wife, too.(An afterthought .) I didn't much like her.我还见过他的夫人。(然后补充说)我不太喜欢她。

  Afterthought事后的思考/补充

  12. I can't help wondering if there's been an oversight of some kind.

  1)……I can't believe they've deliberately slighted us. There must be a mistake. They just happen to have forgotten us.

  2)oversight: an unintended failure to notice or do sth.疏忽出错,忽略

  Whether by oversight or intention, he will be punished for that .不管是处于疏忽还是故意,他都要受到惩罚。

  13. Now, I didn't have to say that…… if you ask me, it showed a lot of humility on my part to say a thing like that when, after all, I've got a career of my own to consider……

  (Just a few days before he died I said, “Scotty Woodrow is still the greatest.”) Well, you know, I didn't have to say something so complimentary. When I had such a high opinion of him, it looked as if I had a low opinion of myself; it isn't good when I have a promising career in Hollywood……

  if you ask me: in my opinion(口语)我认为,依我看(强调以下所说只是个人意见),又如:

  If you ask me, they aren't reliable partners.

  我个人认为,他们不是可靠的合作者。

  The book is all trash, if you ask me.

  我认为这本书里说的全是陈词滥调。

  14. ……try to do something, Mike.

  ……try to find a way to get us invited.

  15. He couldn't get us an invitation to Dineyland. 这么简单的事情他哪能办成呀。 (注意卡罗的挖苦口气。)

  an invitation to Disneyland: one of the easiest things to do再简单不过的事情。

  Disneyland: 迪斯尼乐园,在美国的洛杉矶近郊,是美国动画片制作家及制片人活尔特?迪斯尼(Walter Disney)创建的游乐园。其后迪斯尼公司陆续在佛罗里达州以及日本、法国等地建立同样的游乐园,下一个迪斯尼乐园将建于香港。

  这里couldn't表示“不可能”。

  16. Oh yes! Half the people going, going, I bet, have never met him.是啊,我敢肯定,去的人当中有一半根本就没见过他。

  going: who are going to the funeral.

  I bet /I'll bet/you can bet (that): I'm certain (that)(口语)我敢肯定,又如:

  I bet she won't take the job. The salary is far from what she expects.

  我肯定她不会接受这份工作,薪水与她所期望的相距太远了。

  You can bet they'll on time.

  我敢肯定他们会准时来的。

  这里为了突出卡罗所肯定的具体内容,将I bet作为插入语放到句子中间。

  17.Now, if we don't get an invitation, I'll have to lie again and say we came down with food poisoning, or something. ——(……I'll have to tell another lie and say we can't go because we're suffering from food poisoning or some other illness.) 现在我们要是还收不到请贴,我还得再撒一次谎,说我们食物中毒或是得了别的什么病。

  1)come down with: to get an illness that is not serious; become ill with得了……病,又如:

  The whole family came down with the flu and had to stay in bed.

  他们全家都患了流感,都卧床不起。

  2)or something/somebody/somewhere: 用来表示不敢确定是什么、是何人或干什么的以及在何处,又如:

  The title of the novel is Unforgettable Mr. Johnson or Remarkable Mr. Johnson, or something.

  小说的书名是《难忘的约翰逊先生》,或者是《杰出的约翰逊先生》,还是什么的。

  18. Mark played Scotty's son in a picture once.马克曾经在一部电影里扮演斯格蒂的儿子。

  play (the part of)……:扮演某一角色,又如:

  Jim played (the part of) Hamlet several times.

  吉姆扮演雷特有好几次了。

  Little Jenny doesn't want to play the witch; she'd like to play the fairy.

  小詹妮不愿扮演巫婆,她想演仙女。

  play a part/role in在……起作用

  He played an important part in Beijing's bidding for 2008 Olympic Games.他在北京申奥的工作中起了很重要的作用。

  19. A long time ago, before either of us came on the scene. 很久以前,那时我们俩还没有出道。

  come/appear/arrive on the scene: appear and begin to take part in an activity(口语)到场;登场;到来;出生,

  The hall was full of fans before the star came on the scene. 在这个明星出场之前,大厅里挤满了他的歌迷。

  The famous singing star was a restaurant waiter before he came on the scene.这个著名的歌星在出道前曾是一个餐馆服务员。

  The university has changed a lot since the new president came on the scene.

  自从新校长上任以来这所大学变化很大。

  That happened long before you people came on the scene.

  这是你们这些人出生之前很久以前发生的事

  20. That means Mark's a little older than he admits.这就是说马克的年龄比他自己说的要大。

  1)Mean意味着,意思是说

  You mean you don't want to get the opportunity.你的意思是说你想放弃这次机会。

  Forgetting the past means betraying.忘记过去就意味着背叛。

  2)older than he admits: older than he admits he is比他自己说的要大

  21. The part was very young, practically an infant.那个角色年龄很小,实际上是个婴儿。 Practically(speaking) 实际上,从实际来讲

  Practically, you are fit for teaching not fit for administrating.

  从实际来讲,你适合教学工作而不适合管理工作。

  22. Just the same I'll bet Mark's thirty.再小也一样,我敢肯定马克有30岁了。(角色的年龄再小,也改变不了我的看法,我仍然认为他实际年龄大些。)

  all/just the same: in spite of this仍然,依然,照样,又如:

  He may have done some stupid things, but we respect him just the same.

  他做过蠢事这不假,但我们照样尊敬他。

  We didn't understand the jokes, but laughed with all others all the same.

  那些笑话我们根本不懂,我们还是照样和大家一起放声大笑。

  23.(A little shocked.) She's not giving a party! (感到惊讶)她不是在搞什么聚会吧! (兰蒂觉得紧接着葬礼之后,桑德拉就搞这种社交性的聚会很不妥当。)

  此句是一个用陈述句的形式表达的疑问句(这里既可用惊叹号“!”,也可用问号“?”,也可用“?!”。)用来落实说话人所说的事实或情况是否嘱实,如说话人觉得会得到肯定的回答,就用肯定句,反之就用否定句,又如:

  ——You don't mean you're leaving for good?

  你不是一去不复返吧?

  ——Of course not. I surely will return after the job is done.

  当然不是,工作一完我就回来。

  ——You admitted having cheated in examinations?

  你承认考试作弊了?

  ——Yes.

  是的。

  24. No. She just invited some friends to come in afterwards to have a few drinks and talk about what a great guy Scotty was, and everything.

  不是社交聚会。她只不过邀请了几个朋友在事完之后来喝点饮料,一起聊聊斯格蒂那些了不起的事迹,还有别的什么等等。

  1)have a few drinks喝点饮料/酒

  2)and everything:其他等等,又如:

  They talk about their work, dreams and everything.

  他们俩常在一起谈论各自的工作、梦想以及其他事情。

  She calls her parents every evening to see how they are and everything.

  她每天晚上给父母打电话,问问他们怎么样以及其他等等

  25. After all, Scotty Woodrow was practically a landmark, or something. Think of it. He's been a star for forty years.

  斯格蒂?伍德罗实际上是个里程碑式的人物。想想看,他的明星地位竟保持了40年。

  1)after all:毕竟(通常用于句首,导出原因,)又如:

  How can we expect Jim to do so much? After all he's only 15.

  我们怎么能要求吉姆做那么多的事?他毕竟只有15岁。

  I thought you might find what's wrong with the PC. After all you've worked with Legend.

  我还以为你能查出这台微机的赞美,你毕竟还在联想集团干过。

  2)(come to ) think of it:真的,想想看,想起来了(用来表示突然回忆起或记起一件事),又如:

  Come to think of it, we haven't seen Jack for twenty years.

  真的,我们有20年没有见到杰克了。

  Think of it, I've never been to the Great Wall even after living in Beijing

  for three years.

  真的,我在北京住了3年居然没有去过长城。

  Come to think of it, he did say that he wasn't coming back for supper.

  想起来了,他确实说过他不回来吃晚饭了。

  26. It makes me very humble to think of a guy like Scotty. 想起斯格蒂这样的人,我感到自己很渺小。

  When I think of what Scotty has achieved, I feel small and inadequate.

  Humble: having or showing a modest opinion of oneself; low in rank or position;谦恭的,谦逊的;微贱的,卑下的

  He is very humble to his superiors.他对上级非常谦恭。

  A man of humble birth出身卑贱的人,a humble occupation卑下的职业。

  27. You know we could crash. 我们可以未经邀请擅自出席。

  We could just go there as if we were invited.

  you know口头上用来强调下面要讲的话,或引起人们对下面要讲的话的注意。

  crash: = gatecrash, go to a party or other social event without being invited未经邀请擅自出席。 (在西方这是有失身份的事。)

  28. Who'd know the difference? 谁会知道内情? (谁会看出我们没有被邀请?)

  the difference(between being invited and not being invited)邀请的与未被邀请的有什么不同

  29. How would we feel afterwards, when we had to shake hands with Mrs. Woodrow?就算我们毫不脸红地进了大门,可是之后我们不得不和伍德罗太太握手时不觉得心虚吗?

  1)would此句是一修辞性疑问句,隐含一个虚拟条件句if we crashed

  2)shake hands with和……握手

  30. Everyone would just take it for granted we'd been invited. I mean, we've both just as prominent as Sandra and Don, or any of the others.

  大家都会认为我们当然是应邀而来,我是说,咱们俩跟桑德拉和唐,或是任何其他人比,与他们一样出众。

  1) take it for granted认为……是理所当然的

  He took it for granted that his parents sent him to school他认为父母供他上学是理所当然的。

  2)I mean用来引出解释上句所说内容的理由的句子,又如:

  I didn't know our meeting had been put off until next week.

  I mean, nobody told me.

  我不知道我们的会议已经推迟到下周,没有人告诉我呀!

  I mean也可用来纠正刚说过的话,或者把已经说过的话说得更明确些。如:

  The chairman is leaving for Nanning tomorrow-I mean for Nanjing. 主任明天动身去南宁,不,我是说是去南京。

  The new library is to open on Tuesday-I mean next Tuesday. 新图书馆定于星期二开馆,是下星期二。

分享到:
你可能喜欢
相关问答
更多课程推荐
全国自考网